News from the Department
Iterative Migration Velocity Analysis: extension to surface‐related multiple reflections - Emmanuel COCHET - March 3rd - 2 pm - MINES ParisTech 60 bd St Michel 75006 Paris (Luxembourg station). Abstract
Mining professional training 2016-2017
- Linear Geostatistics (in French) - 6th - 31st March 2017. More information
- Study of landslide hazards related to underground and open pit mining - 24th - 28th April 2017. Provisionnal programme and registration
- Mineral resources and economic development : six-week professional seminars for executives of public and private administration - 20th March - 28th April 2017. Programme and registration fee
- Inspection des mines et carrières (IMC) (Mine and Quarry Inspectorate) : four-week professional seminar for administrative executives and control missions in the field of mine and quarry inspection - 6th - 30th June 2017. Programme and registration fee
Four Carnot Institutes launch Extra&Co
The six-year Extra&Co "Carnot filière" action is managed by a consortium of four Carnot institutes (ISIFoR, BRGM, ICEEL and M.I.N.E.S.) which covers the whole value chain of the sectors related to the mineral resources (metallic and non-metallic resources) and to the underground energy resources. More information
World ranking by discipline : MINES ParisTech at the top 50 !
The QS 2016 ranking of the world's best institutions shows MINES ParisTech at the 23rd rank in the Mining Engineering category. Taking all disciplines in consideration, the French schools and universities are cited about thirty times in this ranking. Only fifteen of them are present in a top 50. More information
Three questions to Hedi Sellami
The director of the Geosciences department
in charge of the Earth Sciences and Environment Department
of MINES Paris Tech
Benoît Sarrazin (P11), a student of the Ground and Underground option, is the recipient of the Juniors Prize awarded by the Société de l'Industrie Minérale, in the "Students" category, for his final work on the underground limestone quarry of Tacon (01). Abstract
Talking about it ...
- The sediments, a future resource for the terracotta industry
- Making tiles and bricks with sediments dredged in harbours
2012 – 2013 – 2014 main events
Hedi SELLAMI is the new director of the Geosciences Department with Vincent LAGNEAU as assistant director, as a replacement for Damien GOETZ.
- The Pierre-Londe Prize awarded by the French Committee for Rock mechanics has been awarded to Laura MARTIN BLANCO for her work on the theoretical and experimental study of anchor bolting distributed under axial stress.
- Daniela DONNO (Geophysics team) has been named "Outstanding Reviewer" of the GEOPHYSICS journal.
- The thesis of Edwige Lefebvre-Polus, "Cross contributions of geostatistical and deterministic modelling. Example of nitrates and dissolved oxygen in a river system", has won the silver medal of the French Academy of Agriculture.
Poster award granted by the European Geosciences Union (EGU)
The best poster prize of the European Geosicence Union (conference in Vienna, Austria, April 2012) has been awarded to a young researcher, Abed BENAICHOUCHE. More information
Congresses and conferences
- AIEG 2014 - Congress of the International Association for Engineering Geology - Turin, 15th - 19th September 2014. More information
- GeoENV 2014 - 10th international conference on Geostatistics for environmental applications - Paris, 9th - 11th July 2014. More information.
Scientific afternoon as a tribute to Michel DEMANGE,
from his alumni and colleagues
The book of the communications is available on demand.
Workshop : 100 years of electrical imaging - MINES ParisTech - 9-10 juillet 2012 - Paris
Workshop organised by the Geophysics group, on the opportunity of the centenary of the first experiment conducted by Conrad Schlumberger.
Innovation in the Geosciences: a day with Bernard Beaudoin, 6th July 2012
organized by the French Geological Society, the French Group of the Cretaceous, the Association of French Sedimentologists and the Geosciences department
Conference "High temperatures for electric storage" 4th July 2012
Oral presentations (in French only)
16 - 19 April 2012 : Mechanical Behaviour of Salt
SaltMech 7 was the 7th congress of those dedicated to the mechanical behaviour of salt. It was organized by the Geosciences and Geoengineering Research Department of MINES ParisTech and the LMS of Polytechnique ParisTech. The congress aimed to provided a forum for academics, researchers and practitioners to exchange ideas and recent developments in the field of the mechanical behaviour of salt. More
Ecole thématique du CNRS / INSU / MINES ParisTech - Geosciences Department
Mineral resources : the outlook of the mining engineer - 1st - 3rd February 2012 - MINES ParisTech - Paris
Scientific conferences held at the Théâtre Municipal de Fontainebleau, 2011-2012
For any information : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hydrocarbons : current status and technological challenges - 29th September 2011
- The main impact of hydrocarbon consumption : CO2 emissions - 27th March 2012
- Underground and new energy - 9th May 2012
2010-2011 main events
Shale gas, a new Eldorado for gas exploration
Interview with Hedi Sellami (June 2011)
Are we entering a golden age of gas ? The answer to this question, asked by the International Energy Agency in the introduction of its latest report on the global market of energy, is likely to be positive, as experts ensure a bright future for this source of energy. Unconventional resources have a lot to do with it : in the United States, shale gas in particular has caused a veritable gold rush. Not without causing serious concerns for the environment ...Read more
The best poster prize of the "Climatology and meteorology and sampling design" session of the "Spatial Data Methods for Environmental and Ecological Processes" congress (Foggia, Puglia, Italy) has been awarded to Thomas ROMARY, Chantal de FOUQUET and Laure MALHERBE, from the Geostatistics group. More
A tribute paid to the memory of Professor Marcel ARNOULD
During the technical seminar organized on 27th January 2011 by the CFGI (French Committee of Engineering Geology and the Environment), with the CFMS (French Committee of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnics) and the CFMR (French Committee of RockMechanics).
Conference "The future of oil", by Bernard Fourcade (from TOTAL), in French, organized by
Participation of the Geosciences department, in collaboration with Varel company, in further event
"Au plus profond des forages", (Deep down inside drillings),paper by C. Bensimon issued in